Luddesdown Cricket Club was formed in about 1947 by a group of local enthusiasts lead
by a man named Hay who cleared the ground and laid the square on a base of Nottingham Marl. Many of the early
players worked on the local farm run by the Goff family. Soon after the Club formed, a young Michael Gilbert moved
into 'The Old Rectory' opposite the ground and became a regular player. The ground was then known as Henley Bottom
and early score books show that games were against local sides such as Singlewell, Cobham, Meopham, Hever Court,
Longfield Hill, Green Street Green and Ifield Court. Those early score books show that sides rarely scored over
100 runs in an innings. Changing facilities and teas were in the school - now the village hall.
Michael Gilbert continued to play for the Club and later became the Club President and always gave the Club his support by turning out to watch most home games.
The Club was renamed Luddesdowne at a lively AGM and continued to play mainly West Kent sides. Socialising was done in The Golden Lion on Thursday nights and after home games. Cricket tours and foreign trips were organised. The Club now has its "HQ" at The Cock PH, which fine hostelry is the Club's main sponsor.
In 1986, the Club was able to buy the ground. Shortly afterwards, a concrete garage was purchased and adapted as a temporary pavilion and - 20 years later- a new pavilion was commissioned and opened on 19 April 2009 by Roberta Gilbert and named "The Michael Gilbert Pavilion" after our late President. The opening occasion was marked by an emphatic 20-20 victory over Cobham CC.